
Taipei, Aug. 31 (CNA) Keelung City authorities on Sunday took action against operators at Dawulun Beach who were occupying public sand with umbrellas and tents for commercial rentals without permission, ordering their removal and promising legal prosecution.
Following days of conciliatory warnings, most vendors have complied but officials found one operator who ignored the notice and went ahead with installing four wooden poles and setting up a large tent on the sand, which clearly served commercial purposes.
The operator claimed the tent was for personal use and that the wooden poles were "marine debris," arguing that as a visitor, they had the right to set up umbrellas and rest.
However, authorities claimed that the operator had rented the umbrellas and tent to two customers.
Officials told the operator that evidence had been collected and asked if he had installed the four poles.
According to authorities, the operator admitted to installing the poles before removing them from the beach.
The enforcement followed a local resident's Facebook post on Aug. 24, complaining that the beach was largely occupied by umbrellas and tents used by commercial operators, making it difficult to enjoy the sand.
Keelung officials said the city does not prohibit helping visitors set up rented umbrellas or tents, but operators may not establish permanent commercial spots on public sand. Those who ignore the rules will face legal action through the National Property Administration for unlawful occupation.
- Society
Cause of 5 deaths in Taoyuan fire determined, blaze source unclear
08/31/2025 09:17 PM - Society
Use of ultrasound in Chinese traditional medicine possible by year-end
08/31/2025 09:10 PM - Culture
CKS Memorial Hall holds concert on Taiwan's censored songs
08/31/2025 09:09 PM - Science & Tech
4th Taiwan Tech Summit in Silicon Valley to take place Sept. 20
08/31/2025 08:33 PM - Culture
VP Hsiao joins Washington Nationals' Taiwan Heritage Day celebrations
08/31/2025 07:14 PM