CORONAVIRUS/Taiwan reports 16,518 new COVID-19 cases, 22 deaths
Taipei, Jan. 25 (CNA) Taiwan reported 16,518 new cases of COVID-19 and 22 deaths from the disease on Wednesday, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
The number of new cases represented a 21.4-percent decline from the same day a week earlier, CECC data showed.
The deceased ranged in age from under 5 to their 90s. All but four had underlying health issues, while 11 of them had not received three doses of a COVID-19 vaccine as recommended by experts, the CECC said.
The CECC said the youngest death was a 4-year-old boy who had gotten one vaccine jab and had no known health conditions. He died from COVID-19, acute encephalitis, hydrocephalus, myocarditis, and multiple organ failure.
Meanwhile, the CECC said 38 (3.8 percent) of the 995 travelers arriving directly from China on Jan. 23 tested positive for the disease, while none of the 21 travelers who went from Xiamen to Kinmen and Matsu did so.
Also on Wednesday, the CECC reported 33 new cases classified as moderate and 20 as severe.
Regionally, New Taipei recorded the highest number of new cases, with 3,240, followed by Kaohsiung with 1,907 and Taoyuan with 1,815.
Taichung reported 1,742 new cases, Taipei 1,640, Tainan 1,327, Changhua 857, Hsinchu County 510, Miaoli 420, Hsinchu City 410, Pingtung 408, and Yunlin 380.
Keelung had 305 cases, Yilan 272, Nantou 267, Chiayi County 249, Hualien 184, Chiayi City 165, Taitung 101, Kinmen 77, Penghu 52, and the Matsu Islands one, the CECC said.
To date, Taiwan has recorded 9,384,996 COVID-19 cases since the pandemic began in early 2020, including 47,506 classified as imported.
With the 22 deaths reported on Wednesday, the number of confirmed COVID-19 fatalities in the country rose to 16,168.
Jan. 19: COVID-19 telemedicine services to stay open over LNY holiday
Jan. 19: Plans to ease indoor mask mandate to be announced Jan. 31: CECC
Jan. 18: Expert predicts new wave of COVID subvariants to come, peak in March
Jan. 24: Taiwan reports 14,859 new COVID-19 cases, 24 deaths
Jan. 23: Taiwan reports 10,669 new COVID-19 cases, 24 deaths
Jan. 22: Taiwan reports 19,187 new COVID-19 cases, 27 deaths
Jan. 21: Taiwan reports 21,078 new COVID-19 cases, 33 deaths
Jan. 20: Taiwan reports 18,218 new COVID-19 cases, 61 deaths
Jan. 19: Taiwan reports 18,414 new COVID-19 cases, 48 deaths
Jan. 18: Taiwan reports 20,768 new COVID-19 cases, 26 deaths
Latest COVID-19 rules
● Taiwan begins testing travelers from China for COVID-19
● Revised protocol for hospital visits from Dec. 10
● Taiwan to stop paying COVID medical fees for certain foreign nationals
● Taiwan to remove weekly arrival cap on Dec. 10
● Taiwan's eased mask mandate takes effect on Dec. 1
● Taiwan cuts COVID isolation to 5 days, lifts workplace vaccine mandates (Nov. 14)
● Taiwan to further ease border rules for China, Hong Kong, Macau residents
● Taiwan's new COVID-19 regulations taking effect Nov. 7
● Taiwan's updated COVID-19 protocols for arriving travelers from Oct. 13
- Serious COVID-19 cases up 30% as Taiwan enters 4th Omicron wave: CDCThe number of serious COVID-19 infections in Taiwan increased by about 30 percent last week, in the latest sign the country is entering a fourth wave of cases fueled by lineages ...05/23/2023 04:32 PM
- Taiwan to further ease mask rules at end of MaySome of Taiwan's last remaining mask rules, which require the wearing of masks in long-term care facilities and ambulances, are likely to be lifted on May 31, the Centers for ...05/16/2023 06:35 PM
- Updated Moderna booster shots available for young children starting May 16Children aged 6 months to 5 years who have already received two Moderna vaccine doses will be able to get a second-generation Moderna jab as a booster shot against COVID-19 ...05/12/2023 10:39 PM
Taiwan issues year's first sea warning for Typhoon Mawar05/29/2023 10:47 PM
- Science & Tech
Taiwan-Singapore team discovers new moray eel species05/29/2023 10:29 PM
- Science & Tech
Taiwan, Lithuania seek to promote cooperation in scientific research05/29/2023 09:52 PM
Taiwan issues sea warning for Typhoon Mawar05/29/2023 08:49 PM
MediaTek, Nvidia to partner on AI car technology05/29/2023 08:29 PM