CORONAVIRUS/Taiwan reports 25,643 new COVID-19 cases, 46 deaths
Taipei, Jan. 11 (CNA) Taiwan on Wednesday reported 25,643 new cases of COVID-19 and 46 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
The total number of cases represented a 24.3-percent decline from the same day a week earlier, the CECC said.
The deceased reported Wednesday included a 3-month-old boy and a woman in her 30s, while the others ranged in age from their 40s to their 90s.
All but four had underlying health conditions, while 24 of them were unvaccinated against COVID-19, the CECC said.
Meanwhile, the CECC said 12.6 percent (or 204) of the 1,615 travelers arriving directly from China on Jan. 9 tested positive for the disease, as did 18.9 percent (or 25) of the 132 travelers who went from Xiamen to Kinmen and Matsu.
Also on Wednesday, the CECC reported 90 new cases classified as moderate and 41 as severe.
Regionally, New Taipei recorded the highest number of new cases, with 5,264, followed by Taichung with 3,201 and Kaohsiung with 2,894.
Taoyuan reported 2,771 new cases, Taipei 2,759, Tainan 1,990, Changhua 980, Hsinchu County 842, Hsinchu City 721, Miaoli 633, Pingtung 576 and Yunlin 427.
Chiayi County had 396 cases, Keelung 392, Yilan 370, Nantou 294, Chiayi City 243, Hualien 218, Taitung 122, Kinmen 79, Penghu 68 and the Matsu Islands five, the CECC said.
To date, Taiwan has recorded 9,123,185 COVID-19 cases since the pandemic began in early 2020, including 43,903 classified as imported.
With the 46 deaths reported on Wednesday, the number of confirmed COVID-19 fatalities in Taiwan rose to 15,654.
(By Matthew Mazzetta)
Jan. 7: Limited Chinese ferry service kicks off Saturday in Kinmen
Jan. 5: About 20 percent of arrivals from China test positive for COVID: CECC
Jan. 3: Transit passengers from China to undergo tighter COVID controls
Jan. 2: 28% of travelers from China COVID-positive on first day of border testing
Jan. 1: President Tsai offers to help China curb COVID surge in New Year address
Jan. 10: Taiwan reports single day high of 560 imported COVID-19 cases
Jan. 9: Taiwan reports 17,318 new COVID-19 cases, 40 deaths
Jan. 8: Taiwan reports 23,411 new COVID-19 cases, 36 deaths
Jan. 7: Taiwan reports 24,422 new COVID-19 cases, 61 deaths
Jan. 6: Taiwan's total COVID-19 cases top 9 million
Jan. 5: Taiwan reports 31,514 new COVID-19 cases, 45 deaths
Jan. 4: Taiwan reports 33,871 new COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths
Latest COVID-19 rules
● Taiwan begins testing travelers from China for COVID-19
● Revised protocol for hospital visits from Dec. 10
● Taiwan to stop paying COVID medical fees for certain foreign nationals
● Taiwan to remove weekly arrival cap on Dec. 10
● Taiwan's eased mask mandate takes effect on Dec. 1
● Taiwan cuts COVID isolation to 5 days, lifts workplace vaccine mandates (Nov. 14)
● Taiwan to further ease border rules for China, Hong Kong, Macau residents
● Taiwan's new COVID-19 regulations taking effect Nov. 7
● Taiwan's updated COVID-19 protocols for arriving travelers from Oct. 13
- Taiwan records 675 new COVID-19 cases, 175 deaths over past weekTaiwan reported 675 new COVID-19 cases and 175 deaths from the disease from March 24 to March 30, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) Thursday.03/30/2023 06:42 PM
- COVID-19 data to be updated weekly: CECCAs new COVID-19 infections over the past month have shown a steady downward trajectory, from Thursday the COVID-19 dashboard will be updated weekly rather than daily, Taiwan's ...03/28/2023 05:45 PM
- CECC sees no rise in COVID-19 cases after case reporting endsIn the week after Taiwan stopped requiring people to report mild or asymptomatic COVID-19 infections and isolate themselves for five days, there was no sign of COVID-19 cases ...03/26/2023 10:26 PM
TSMC opens overseas operations office to supervise fabs in U.S., Japan04/01/2023 09:48 PM
Ex-President Ma mentions 'ROC' during ancestor worship in China (update)04/01/2023 09:29 PM
- Science & Tech
Taiwan needs generative AI different to ChatGPT: AI Labs founder04/01/2023 09:06 PM
Cathay Financial cuts Taiwan's 2023 GDP growth forecast to below 2%04/01/2023 08:52 PM
Taichung International ACG Expo kicks off04/01/2023 08:35 PM