Taipei, May 2 (CNA) Government officials denied reports Wednesday that Defense Minister Kao Hua-chu and National Security Council Secretary-General Hu Wei-chen will be involved in the next Cabinet reshuffle.
The Chinese-language tabloid weekly Next Magazine reported that Kao would replace Hu as President Ma Ying-jeou's top national security adviser, but officials said the president has been satisfied with their performances and has decided to keep them on.
The defense ministry and Presidential Office spokesman Fan Chiang Tai-chi both rebutted the report, saying it was groundless and pure speculation.
The same report also said the president has repeatedly asked King Pu-tsung, the former secretary-general of the ruling Kuomintang (KMT) and Ma's re-election campaign chief, to replace Hu as his top national security adviser.
But KMT spokesman Yin Wei denied the claim, saying in a statement that he had checked with King, and King had said that it was completely inaccurate.
Yin confirmed a day earlier that King will serve as a top adviser in the KMT's International Affairs Center to assist in promoting party diplomacy.
There has been widespread speculation that the Ma administration will make changes in its defense and foreign policy team in the near future after having adjusted its economic and financial team earlier this year after Ma won re-election on Jan. 14.
(By Kelven Huang and Scully Hsiao)