Taipei, Sept. 7 (CNA) The remains of an unexploded bomb were unearthed Sunday at the site of the old Kaohsiung Refinery, which is undergoing environmental remediation ahead of the construction of a Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) plant.
According to the Kaohsiung City government's Construction Office, workers in the former refinery's storage tank area dug up the unexploded bomb at around 11:30 a.m., and immediately notified the military.
Military officials quickly arrived at the site and determined that the bomb did not pose an immediate safety risk before removing it around 12:30 p.m., the office said.

In a press release, the 8th Army Corps confirmed that it had removed an unexploded aerial bomb from the construction site in Kaohsiung's Nanzih District.
The bomb appears to be from an "early period," but does not have a visible batch number or other identifying information due to its highly corroded state, the Army said.
Unexploded bombs, likely from U.S. airstrikes in World War 2, were previously discovered at the same site in August and November of last year.
- Politics
Taiwan congratulates ally SVG's newly-elected leader, parliament members
11/28/2025 09:52 PM - Politics
Taiwan's envoy thanks Japan for recognizing Taiwan-China differences
11/28/2025 09:33 PM - Business
Taiwan revises 2025 growth forecast to 7.37%, on rising AI demand
11/28/2025 09:21 PM - Cross-Strait
- Society
2 migrant workers arrested on suspicion of selling dog meat in Hsinchu
11/28/2025 07:52 PM