CORONAVIRUS/Taiwan reports 31,514 new COVID-19 cases, 45 deaths
Taipei, Jan. 5 (CNA) Taiwan reported 31,514 new COVID-19 infections and 45 deaths from the disease on Thursday, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
The new cases represented an 11.8-percent increase from the same day one week earlier, CECC data showed.
The deceased ranged in age from their 20s to their 90s. All but three had underlying health conditions, while 20 of them were unvaccinated against COVID-19, the CECC said.
Also on Thursday, the CECC reported 130 new cases classified as moderate and 38 as severe.
Regionally, New Taipei recorded the highest number of new cases with 6,196, followed by Taichung with 4,143 and Taipei with 3,576.
Kaohsiung reported 3,371 new cases, Taoyuan 3,366, Tainan 2,594, Changhua 1,355, Hsinchu County 1,023, Hsinchu City 864, Miaoli 669, Pingtung 654 and Yunlin 573.
Chiayi County had 465 cases, Keelung 453, Nantou 437, Yilan 427, Chiayi City 278, Hualien 244, Taitung 174, Kinmen 139, Penghu 70 and the Matsu Islands seven, the CECC said.
To date, Taiwan has recorded 8,979,699 COVID-19 cases since the pandemic began in early 2020, including 41,642 classified as imported.
With the 45 deaths reported on Thursday, the number of confirmed COVID-19 fatalities in the country rose to 15,383.
Jan. 3: Transit passengers from China to undergo tighter COVID controls
Jan. 2: 28% of travelers from China COVID-positive on first day of border testing
Jan. 1: President Tsai offers to help China curb COVID surge in New Year address
Dec. 31: Ministry to pay family NT$300,000 for COVID-19 vaccine death
Dec. 28: Travelers from China to be subjected to saliva PCR tests at border
Dec. 23: Taiwan to relax quarantine regulations for incoming migrant caretakers
Jan. 4: Taiwan reports 33,871 new COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths
Jan. 3: Taiwan reports 25,009 COVID-19 cases, 22 deaths
Jan. 2: Taiwan reports 16,602 new COVID-19 cases, 26 deaths
Jan. 1: Taiwan reports 25,270 new COVID-19 cases, 20 deaths
Dec. 31: Taiwan reports 25,755 new COVID-19 cases, 38 deaths
Dec. 30: Taiwan reports 27,413 new COVID-19 cases, 34 deaths
Dec. 29: Taiwan reports 27,413 new COVID-19 cases, 34 deaths
Latest COVID-19 rules
● Taiwan begins testing travelers from China for COVID-19
● Revised protocol for hospital visits from Dec. 10
● Taiwan to stop paying COVID medical fees for certain foreign nationals
● Taiwan to remove weekly arrival cap on Dec. 10
● Taiwan's eased mask mandate takes effect on Dec. 1
● Taiwan cuts COVID isolation to 5 days, lifts workplace vaccine mandates (Nov. 14)
● Taiwan to further ease border rules for China, Hong Kong, Macau residents
● Taiwan's new COVID-19 regulations taking effect Nov. 7
● Taiwan's updated COVID-19 protocols for arriving travelers from Oct. 13
- Taiwan's 4th Omicron wave likely to peak in late June, early July: CDCTaiwan's fourth wave of COVID-19 infections fueled by lineages of the Omicron variant is likely to peak in late June or early July, with around 80 percent of cases involving ...05/30/2023 04:56 PM
- Serious COVID-19 cases up 30% as Taiwan enters 4th Omicron wave: CDCThe number of serious COVID-19 infections in Taiwan increased by about 30 percent last week, in the latest sign the country is entering a fourth wave of cases fueled by lineages ...05/23/2023 04:32 PM
- Taiwan to further ease mask rules at end of MaySome of Taiwan's last remaining mask rules, which require the wearing of masks in long-term care facilities and ambulances, are likely to be lifted on May 31, the Centers for ...05/16/2023 06:35 PM
Taipei beef noodle restaurant shut temporarily over hygiene issues06/05/2023 10:19 PM
Indonesian seeking relatives of Taiwanese man she has cared for06/05/2023 10:16 PM
TSMC touts balanced work environment amid 'brutal' condition claims in U.S.06/05/2023 08:27 PM
Hon Hai May sales up 5% from April, but down year-on-year06/05/2023 06:58 PM
Deputy Eswatini PM arrives in Taiwan for visit06/05/2023 06:41 PM