CORONAVIRUS/Cinema employee in Taipei tests positive for COVID-19

07/20/2021 08:59 PM
To activate the text-to-speech service, please first agree to the privacy policy below.
Photo from Vieshow Cinemas
Photo from Vieshow Cinemas' website

Taipei, July 20 (CNA) A worker at a movie theater at Q Square Mall in Taipei has contracted COVID-19, the city government said Tuesday, one week after cinemas across Taiwan were allowed to reopen.

At a press briefing, Deputy Taipei Mayor Huang Shan-shan (黃珊珊) said the staff member at the Vieshow Cinemas branch on the shopping mall's fifth floor tested positive for the virus on Monday.

The shopping mall, which is in the same complex as Taipei Main Station and Taipei Bus Station, was closed on Tuesday for disinfection.

The infection was reported just one week after cinemas in Taiwan were allowed to reopen, following the government's decision on July 13 to ease some of its restrictions under the current Level 3 alert for COVID-19.

The case was a household transmission of the virus, according to Huang.

Asked about the number of contacts identified in the case, Huang did not give a direct response, saying only that the city government was taking every precaution.

The Taipei City health department said Tuesday that it was planning to test other employees at the movie theater.

According to the city government, the infected worker had shifts from 10:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. on July 13 and 14, and from 6 p.m. on July 15 to 2:45 a.m. the next day.

In addition to his work venue, the employee had been to numerous places before he was confirmed to have contracted COVID-19, Huang said, urging people to get tested if they were at those same places and have developed symptoms of the disease.

According to the city government, the employee visited Ningxia night market between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on July 13, taking an underground route on foot through Zhongshan Metro Mall, which stretches between Taipei Main Station and MRT Shuanglian station.

The next day, he walked through the same underground mall and went to a supermarket between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. in the Nanxi branch of Shin Kong Mitsukoshi department store, before returning home in Shilin District via MRT, the city government said.

On July 19, the man took a bus at 2:30 p.m. to Dayeh Takashimaya department store, where he spent about three hours, the city government said.

Following the reports of the man's movements, Dayeh Takashimaya said it would be closed from 4 p.m. Tuesday until Thursday.

(By Chen Yu-ting, Liu Shih-yi and Teng Pei-ju)


View All
We value your privacy.
Focus Taiwan (CNA) uses tracking technologies to provide better reading experiences, but it also respects readers' privacy. Click here to find out more about Focus Taiwan's privacy policy. When you close this window, it means you agree with this policy.