iPhone 12 Pro Max in great demand: telecom operators

11/14/2020 01:42 PM
To activate the text-to-speech service, please first agree to the privacy policy below.
In one of Taipei
In one of Taipei's two Apple Shop Friday. CNA photo Nov. 13, 2020

Taipei, Nov. 14 (CNA) The iPhone 12 Pro Max became a hit in Taiwan after the second round of sale of the iPhone 12 series started on Friday, according to telecom service providers.

Chunghwa Telecom Co. and Far EasTone Telecommunications Co., two of the leading telecom services providers in Taiwan, cited their data on the first day of sales for two of the four latest iPhone 12 models -- iPhone 12 Pro Max and the iPhone 12 mini -- as saying the larger iPhone 12 Pro Max received a warmer reception from Apple fans, accounting for about 90 percent of total sales.

Another telecom services provider, Taiwan Mobile Co., said 70 percent of its clients chose the iPhone Pro 12 Max while the remaining 30 percent picked the iPhone 12 mini on the first day of sale.

The iPhone 12 series -- 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini, 6.1-inch iPhone 12, 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max -- were introduced by Apple on Sept. 13, to support 5G.

The iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max are available in pacific blue, graphite, silver, and gold, while the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini come in blue, white, black, green and red.

Market observers expect the new models to trigger a big wave of replacement buying as people upgrade their mobile phones to 5G-equipped versions.

CNA photo Nov. 13, 2020
CNA photo Nov. 13, 2020

Pre-orders for the iPhone 12 mini and the iPhone 12 Pro Max began on Nov. 6 before they became available in stores on Friday, while the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 went on sale on Oct. 23.

Chunghwa Telecom said the top three sellers on Friday were the iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB in pacific blue, the iPhone 12 Pro Max 256 GB in graphite, and iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB in gold.

As for the smaller and more affordable iPhone 12 mini, the 128 GB version was the most welcome, Chunghwa Telecom said.

It added that most of its clients signed up for the NT$1,399 (US$48.49) monthly subscription fee program to gain unlimited access to its 5G services.

Far Eastone said the pacific blue color was the most welcome iPhone 12 Pro Max in its store followed by graphite with 256GB of memory, while for the iPhone 12 mini, the blue and white versions with 128GB of storage space were a hit.

Taiwan Mobile said the iPhone 12 Pro Max was almost sold out soon after sales began and clients favored the pacific color that has 256GB of memory.

On Friday, a man surnamed Kao (高) became the first customer to get the new iPhone 12 from the Apple Store in Far Eastern Department Store's Xinyi A13 store, a busy commercial district in Taipei. He arrived at the store at around 6:30 a.m. to beat the expected rush before the outlet opened at 8 a.m.

(By Jiang Ming-yan and Frances Huang)

Enditem/cs

    0:00
    /
    0:00
    We value your privacy.
    Focus Taiwan (CNA) uses tracking technologies to provide better reading experiences, but it also respects readers' privacy. Click here to find out more about Focus Taiwan's privacy policy. When you close this window, it means you agree with this policy.