ELECTIONS 2022/People should not wear masks with campaign signs to vote: official
Taipei, Nov. 17 (CNA) Wearing a facemask with a candidate's campaign sign to the voting booth on election day next Saturday could put the wearer at risk of being fined at least NT$500,000 (US$16,000), officials said Thursday.
Doing so could be considered flouting the rule that bans any activity related to a campaign or electioneering on a polling day, Central Election Commission (CEC) Chairman Lee Chin-yung (李進勇) said.
"People should avoid wearing such a mask," Lee said when approached by reporters on the sidelines of a legislative committee session.
Asked by CNA by phone, a CEC official said that any suspected violation of this rule would be referred to the CEC for investigation and those found guilty could face a fine of between NT$500,000 and NT$5 million.
Taiwan will hold a nationwide election on Nov. 26 to vote for over 11,000 local officials and councilors at all levels of local government, and on a referendum on a constitutional amendment to lower both the legal voting age and the minimum age of candidacy to 18.
● Election campaigns around Taiwan, Nov. 16
● Election campaigns around Taiwan, Nov. 15
● Election campaigns around Taiwan, Nov. 14
Nov. 16: Hsinchu mayor hopefuls tout policies for city development
Nov. 16: Taichung mayoral candidates underscore air pollution at forum
Nov. 15: Taoyuan mayoral candidates address traffic, housing at televised forum
Nov. 14: New Taipei mayor dodges question about presidential run in TV forum
Nov. 14: DPP candidates unveil joint semiconductor development platform
Nov. 12: 12 Taipei mayoral candidates outline visions at televised hustings
Nov. 12: Kaohsiung mayoral candidates highlight population loss, high-tech plans
- KMT's Wang beats DPP's Wu in Taipei legislative by-electionThe Kuomintang's (KMT) Wang Hung-wei (王鴻薇) has been elected to the Legislative Yuan after defeating Enoch Wu (吳怡農) of the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) in Taipei's ...01/08/2023 08:21 PM
- Suspect in Tainan vote-buying probe detained after turning himself inTainan City Fisheries Association Director-General Lin Shih-chieh (林世傑) was arrested and detained late Saturday by prosecutors investigating allegations of vote buying in last ...01/08/2023 04:42 PM
- Female local government representation in Taiwan growsFemale representation on Taiwan’s city and county councils increased slightly following November 2022 local elections, according to the Directorate General of Budget, Accounting ...01/07/2023 07:07 PM
Taiwan probing cases of 16 floating corpses found in March03/29/2023 10:55 PM
Young workers in Taiwan earn US$1,120 per month: MOL03/29/2023 09:35 PM
Terry Gou cautions against economic dependency on China03/29/2023 09:07 PM
China's state-run TV station censors Ma's ROC remarks03/29/2023 08:35 PM
Military faulted in accident leading to soldier's death03/29/2023 07:05 PM