CORONAVIRUS/Taiwan reports 7,080 new COVID-19 cases, 45 deaths
Taipei, March 6 (CNA) Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) reported 7,080 new cases of COVID-19 and 45 deaths from the disease on Monday.
Domestic cases declined by 8.6 percent compared with the previous week to reach a 314-day low of 6,928, according to the CECC.
With the daily reported cases on the decline, spokesperson Lo Yi-chun (羅一鈞) said that following discussions with experts, the CECC expects to further ease pandemic prevention measures in March.
First of three phases of COVID-19 protocols easing
According to Lo, under the relaxed rules, mild cases will not be required to isolate or report their infections.
In addition, those with mild or asymptomatic infections who are hospitalized for other reasons will be able to stay in general wards, Lo said.
Lo added that individuals with moderate to serious symptoms as well as those who developed pneumonia or other serious respiratory illnesses will be treated in specialty wards.
In addition, medical workers will only have to wear face masks for medical or surgical use when doing noncontact inquiries, Lo said.
If they have physical contact with patients, such as when taking blood pressure or body temperature, they can wear an extra pair of gloves, and they will not be asked to wear waterproof isolation gowns as long as their hands are clean.
Lo said they will inform all medical institutions of the new rules above this week, though he did not give any specific date.
March 2: CECC mulls downgrading classification of COVID-19 by May
To date, Taiwan has recorded 10,112,117 COVID-19 infections and 18,248 deaths from the disease since the pandemic began in early 2020.
March 6: Mask-wearing persists despite lifting of Taiwan's on-campus mandate
March 4: Taiwan loosens COVID-19 control measures on international cruises
March 3: Taiwan to purchase more monkeypox vaccine doses: CDC
March 1: Taiwan records first two local monkeypox cases
Feb. 23: New COVID vaccination campaign planned in March, annual jab from 2024
Feb. 20: Taiwan to stop COVID-19 rapid test kits to overseas arrivals
March 5: Taiwan reports 10,307 new COVID-19 cases, 60 deaths
March 4: Taiwan reports 11,397 new COVID-19 cases, 71 deaths
March 3: Taiwan reports 13,813 new COVID-19 cases, 62 deaths
March 2: Taiwan reports 12,032 new COVID-19 cases, 43 deaths
March 1: Taiwan reports 12,212 new COVID cases; isolation rules to ease
Feb. 28: Taiwan reports 10,120 new COVID cases; mask rules to be reviewed in April
Feb. 27: Taiwan sees under 10,000 new COVID-19 cases for first time in over 300 days
Latest COVID-19 rules
● Taiwan's eased indoor mask mandate takes effect Feb. 20
● COVID-19 testing for overseas arrivals dropped from Feb. 7 (2023)
● Revised protocol for hospital visits from Dec. 10
● Taiwan to stop paying COVID medical fees for certain foreign nationals
● Taiwan to remove weekly arrival cap on Dec. 10
● Taiwan cuts COVID isolation to 5 days, lifts workplace vaccine mandates (Nov. 14)
● Taiwan to further ease border rules for China, Hong Kong, Macau residents
- Taiwan's 4th Omicron wave likely to peak in late June, early July: CDCTaiwan's fourth wave of COVID-19 infections fueled by lineages of the Omicron variant is likely to peak in late June or early July, with around 80 percent of cases involving ...05/30/2023 04:56 PM
- Serious COVID-19 cases up 30% as Taiwan enters 4th Omicron wave: CDCThe number of serious COVID-19 infections in Taiwan increased by about 30 percent last week, in the latest sign the country is entering a fourth wave of cases fueled by lineages ...05/23/2023 04:32 PM
- Taiwan to further ease mask rules at end of MaySome of Taiwan's last remaining mask rules, which require the wearing of masks in long-term care facilities and ambulances, are likely to be lifted on May 31, the Centers for ...05/16/2023 06:35 PM
Taiwan donates US$200,000 to Guam for typhoon relief06/02/2023 10:18 PM
DPP's Lai outlines new rules to combat sexual harassment06/02/2023 10:07 PM
Taiwan, Tuvalu sign technical exchange, legal assistance agreements06/02/2023 09:14 PM
High-level Slovak officials to visit Taiwan for economic talks06/02/2023 09:00 PM