
Taipei, May 31 (CNA) The driver involved in a New Taipei car crash that killed three and injured several others died of his injuries Saturday morning after nearly two weeks of intensive care, according to a local hospital.
Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, where the 78-year-old man surnamed Yu (余) was admitted, said that he died of multiple organ failure after several surgeries and continued treatment.
Authorities have been notified for the postmortem, the hospital said.
Yu ran a red light at a high speed in New Taipei's Sanxia District on May 19, hitting several pedestrians and scooter riders near an elementary school.
Two of the people killed in the crash were female students in their teens and the other was a woman in her 40s.
Another 12 people, including Yu, were injured, with a majority of them being students.
Police had been waiting to take the driver's statement, but he remained unconscious until he died.
Relevant forensics reports, surveillance and dashcam footage, witness statements, and reports from the Transportation Safety Board will all be transferred to prosecutors, the police said.
The New Taipei Prosecutors Office said that they will arrange for an autopsy on Yu as soon as possible and close the case.
The incident prompted public outcry about Taiwan's driver's license tests and traffic safety failures.
Critics say the requirements for renewing driver's licenses, especially for elderly people, are too lax and accident-prone traffic spots are not dealt with efficiently.
- Politics
- Business
TSMC reports big rise in employee compensation in recent years
08/31/2025 01:53 PM - Society
5 dead in residential fire in Taoyuan
08/31/2025 01:08 PM - Culture
Taipei Summer Festival ends with dazzling fireworks show
08/31/2025 12:59 PM - Society
Taiwan headline news
08/31/2025 11:23 AM