iPhone 11 Pro series a hit in Taiwan on debut: telecom operators

09/21/2019 03:08 PM
To activate the text-to-speech service, please first agree to the privacy policy below.

Taipei, Sept. 21 (CNA) The more expensive iPhone 11 Pro in the new series of iPhones proved to be a hit in the Taiwan market as the latest iPhones went on global sale Friday, according the three largest Taiwanese telecom services providers.

The three telecom operators -- Chunghwa Telecom Co., Taiwan Mobile Co., and EasTone Telecommunications Co. -- said on the first day the series became available to consumers globally that the iPhone 11 Pro series accounted for about 60 percent of the total sales in Taiwan, while the more affordable iPhone 11 made up the remaining 40 percent.

On the debut of the new iPhones, which had been anxiously awaited by Apple fans in Taiwan, a man surnamed Hung (洪), was first in line at Chunghwa Telecom's Vieshow service store in the bustling Xinyi District Friday.

He purchased an iPhone 11 Pro Max, one of the two iPhone 11 Pro series, soon after the store opened at 8 a.m. Friday.

On Sept. 10, Apple unveiled the new iPhones: two high-end models, the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, along with the cheaper iPhone 11, to replace the previous models of the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR launched in September 2018.

Taiwan is one of the markets included in the first round of global sales that began on Friday.

The 5.8-inch Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) iPhone 11 Pro, featuring Apple's new triple camera lenses, carries a starting price of NT$35,900 (US$1,158), while the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone 11 Pro Max model sells at a base price of NT$39,900, according to the Apple Taiwan website.

The more affordable 6.1-inch LCD iPhone 11 starts at NT$24,900, NT$2,000 cheaper than its predecessor, the iPhone XR.

The iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max are offered in midnight green, silver, space gray and gold, while the iPhone 11 is available in purple, yellow, green, black, white and red.

As the market had previously anticipated, the iPhone 11 Pro series with an upgrade in hardware specifications received a warm welcome among the early birds in the sale in Taiwan, according to Chunghwa Telecom.

It added that the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Max 256GB models appeared more popular than other iPhone 11 Pro models, and more consumers inquired about the midnight green version than other colors; it was the first time for Apple to introduce this color for its iPhones.

To stimulate buying, Chunghwa Telecom has launched a promotional program in the first three days of sales, which is a lucky draw for iPhone 11 buyers to secure prizes with a total value of NT$200,000, including a product warranty extension.

On Sept. 12, Chunghwa Telecom launched a reservations campaign for a limited supply of the new iPhones, seeing the reservations were full in only eight minutes after the activity began at 3 p.m.

Similar to Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan Mobile said the iPhone 11 Pro series represented about 60 percent of its sales and the iPhone 11 took the remaining 40 percent as of 4 p.m. Friday.

For its part, Far EasTone said about 57 percent of consumers picked up the iPhone 11 Pro series with the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Max 256GB being the biggest hits, adding that the midnight green and gold versions appeared more popular to its customers.

As for the more affordable iPhone 11, Far Eastone said its customers preferred the 128GB models with the purple version receiving a warmer reception.

On Sept. 10, Apple CEO Tim Cook even called the iPhone 11 Pro models "the most powerful and most advanced iPhones we have ever built, with a stunning design."

Meanwhile, Samsung Electronics Co. of South Korea has announced on the back of the latest Galaxy Note 10 series launch that the brand took the top position in Taiwan's smartphone sales rankings in August.

Among the high-end models in the Android camp, Samsung said the Galaxy Note 10+ 256GB even grasped the best seller title in terms of single model sales in August after the model went on sale on Aug. 23.

But market analysts said that due to the presence of the new iPhone 11 series, it remains to be seen whether Samsung will be able to retain the No. 1 title in September.

(By Jiang Ming-yan and Frances Huang)


    We value your privacy.
    Focus Taiwan (CNA) uses tracking technologies to provide better reading experiences, but it also respects readers' privacy. Click here to find out more about Focus Taiwan's privacy policy. When you close this window, it means you agree with this policy.