Premier Lai Ching-te (賴清德) reiterated on Sunday that there is no timetable for when the No. 2 reactor at the Kuosheng Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei will be reactivated after it automatically shut down late last month. Speaking at a media roundtable in Hualien County, Lai said safety will not be sacrificed in the rush to meet electricity demand. In order for a restart to be authorized, a review must be conducted by the Cabinet-level Atomic Energy Commission (原能會) based on the highest safety standards, he said. "The government will never sacrifice the health of its citizens in exchange for economic development," Lai pledged.
(Full text of the story is now in CNA English news archive. To view the full story, you will need to be a subscribed member of the CNA archive. To subscribe, please read here.)
- Society
Aftershocks possible after powerful earthquake hits Tainan: CWA
04/03/2025 04:43 PM - Politics
Taiwan's opposition parties urge government action over Trump tariff
04/03/2025 04:30 PM - Society
Taiwan headline news
04/03/2025 04:20 PM - Business
Economic think tank head slams Trump's 'simplistic, crude' tariffs
04/03/2025 04:17 PM - Business