Back to list

Three workers killed in accident in Kaohsiung

2018/05/07 22:41:39

Kaohsiung, May 7 (CNA) Three workers were killed in an accident Monday after allegedly being poisoned by hydrogen sulfide gas as they were repairing a building's underground sewage equipment, a city government official said.

Hsu Feng-yuan (許峯源), a section chief in the city's Labor Affairs Bureau, said the Fire Bureau received a report at about 4:39 p.m. that three workers were trapped in an underground water pool of a downtown building while fixing sewage equipment there.

The three workers were rescued from the area in question by rescuers sent by the Fire Bureau and were sent to a nearby hospital, but they were pronounced by the hospital to be dead on arrival.

Hsu said a preliminary investigation showed that the concentration of hydrogen sulfide in the underground area reached 52 parts per million, far higher than the 10 ppm limit set by the law.

The Labor Affairs Bureau ordered that the repair work be immediately suspended, and it fined the employer of the three victims NT$300,000 (about US$10,000) for not having taken the proper safety precautions after being hired by the building to do the job, Hsu said.

The city government has referred the case to judicial authorities for further investigation, Hsu said.

(By Chen Ja-fo, Wang Shwu-fen and Romulo Huang)