Back to list

Scorsese film crew in 'shock and sorrow' following fatal accident

2015/01/29 15:45:08

Taipei, Jan. 29 (CNA) The crew of Martin Scorsese's new film "Silence" expressed their "shock and sorrow" upon learning that a Taiwanese worker had died and two others had been injured in a scaffolding accident on the set of the film in Taipei Thursday.

"Today there was an unfortunate accident at CMPC Studios in Taiwan, where the Martin Scorsese film, 'Silence,' is in pre-production," a spokesperson for the film said in a statement to Deadline Hollywood's film editor Mike Fleming Jr.

According to the statement, which was posted on the Deadline website, an existing structure on the movie studio backlot was discovered to be unsafe by the film's production team, and a third-party contractor was hired to address the problem.

"Sadly, during this process, the ceiling collapsed, resulting in the death of one of the contractor's employees and injuries to two others," the statement reads.

"Everyone is in shock and sorrow and expresses their deepest concern and sympathy to the families of the individual who died and those who were injured," it said.

The three workers, all Taiwanese, were rushed to hospital after the accident at the Chinese Culture and Movie Center, which is owned by Central Pictures Corp. (CMPC).

One of the workers, Chen Yu-lung (陳玉龍), was pronounced dead on arrival, while the other two sustained leg fractures and head injuries, according to the Taipei City Fire Department.

(By Christie Chen)
ENDITEM/J

Related stories:
●Jan. 29: Scorsese's film "Silence" will not halt production: crew member
●Jan. 29: One person killed in accident on Scorsese film set in Taiwan