Back to list

McDonald's inspected over alleged foreign object found in burger

2019/03/19 22:50:55

Image taken from Pixabay

Taipei, March 19 (CNA) A McDonald's fast food restaurant in Chiayi City is being inspected by local health authorities after a customer was allegedly injured by a sharp object after biting into a burger, an official said Tuesday.

A 27-year-old man, surnamed Shih (施), was taken to a hospital emergency room by McDonald's employees early that day after complaining to them that he had been cut by a sharp object in his burger and was bleeding from the mouth, according to Liao Yu-wei (廖育瑋), deputy chief of Chiayi City Health Bureau.

Shih is in a stable condition after receiving treatment and a tetanus shot, Liao added.

Health inspectors have already been dispatched to the McDonald's restaurant and if any negligence is found the outlet could be fined NT$60,000 (US$1,948) to NT$200 million in accordance with the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation, Liao said.

McDonald's head office said the outlet in question used non-company issued cleaning appliances and a bristle detached from one of a cleaning brush causing the reported injury.

Immediately following the incident, a supervisor from the McDonald's branch gave the man a full refund and helped him seek medical attention, the office said, adding that a comprehensive review of the restaurant's operations is underway.

All McDonald's branches have since been instructed to rigorously adhere to strict company standard operating procedures with management and personnel training to be stepped up, to avoid any recurrence, the office added.

At of press time, Huang Chung-chieh (黃崇傑), a Chiayi City consumer protection official, said his office has not yet received a formal complaint from Shih.

(By Chiang Chun-liang, Wu Hsin-yun and William Yen)
Enditem/AW