Back to list

Year's first fatal case of enterovirus claims year-old child

2019/10/22 18:38:50

Taipei, Oct. 22 (CNA) A one-year-old boy who died in September has been confirmed as this year's first fatal case of enterovirus, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) announced Tuesday.

The child, from southern Taiwan, died Sept. 28 following complications from enterovirus type 71, which has been responsible for around 80 percent of this year's 50 cases of enterovirus with severe complications, the CDC said.

In the CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center's weekly report, Director Liu Ting-ping (劉定萍) noted that the child had been treated at clinics Sept. 26 and 27 for flu-like symptoms including fever and vomiting, before being taken to the hospital Sept. 28, where he died of cardiopulmonary failure.

Although the child's brother was treated for enterovirus symptoms at the beginning of September, and his school was later closed to stop further transmission of the virus, CDC doctors concluded that it is also possible that the child contracted the highly contagious virus in a public place, Liu said.

According to CDC statistics, between Oct. 13-19, a total of 16,400 people sought emergency treatment for symptoms resembling enterovirus, representing a 7 percent decrease from the previous week.

CDC Deputy Director-General Lo Yi-chun (羅一鈞) said that although the peak of this year's enterovirus season has passed, with the number of new cases decreasing for four consecutive weeks, at current rates, the CDC expects the risk from the virus to persist for another month.

(By Chen Wei-ting and Matthew Mazzetta)
Enditem/J